PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Other Generations Hacking > Guides & Documentation

Guides & Documentation Learn how to make your own Pokémon game through the process of ROM Hacking, or help out the community by sharing your information.

Old 6th July 2013, 01:15 AM   #1
karatekid552
What does this button do?.....
Ex-Staff

karatekid552 karatekid552
Default [GBA] How to Create New Evolutionary Stones: Step by Step

How to create a new Evolutionary Stone

I have seen people asking for this several times, so I decided to write my first full length tutorial on the subject. As of right now, this post will not have images, but if anyone does find need of them, just ask.

Quote:
I am writing this tutorial for all games, so I will refer to specific offsets from this chart:

Code:
OffsetA- This is the item effect table.
AXVE- 0x1FCDE4
AXPE- 0x1FCD74
BPRE- 0x2528BC
BPGE- 0x252898
BPEE- 0x31E58C
If anyone has any offsets from different games, please let me know.

To find new offsets for games not listed, search for:

Code:
 00 00 00 00 04 00 14 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 08 00 00 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 3F 04 00 FF 00 00 00 00 04 00 FF 00 00 00 00 04 00 C8 00 00 00 00 04 00 32 00 00 00 3F 00 00 00 00 00 00 44 00 FE 00 00 00 00 44 00 FF 00 00 00 00
Then create a pointer from the location of this data and search for that. The location of the pointer is the first slot on the item effect table.

Note: Every number in this tut should be in Hex unless otherwise specified.

Requirements:

-An Advance Gen Rom
-A hex editor (HxD works well)

-Item Manager (PGE DOES NOT WORK!)
-Free Space Finder (FSF)
-Some time
-A brain

Step 1) Follow DavidJCobb's Item Creation tutorial and make the new item look completely the same as another evolutionary stone already in existence, only changing its name and description. Please note, that this tutorial can only use the empty item numbers between Potion and Sitrus Berry.

Step 2) Take the item number, and subtract the item number of a Potion from it, which is D. This is because the table we are going to edit starts and potion.

Step 3) Now, multiply the number we got in step 2 by 4.

Step 4) Take this number and add it "OffsetA". (Which is found in a nice table at the top.)

Step 5) Goto this offset in a Hex editor.

Step 6) Using FSF, find some free space, about ten bytes, we won't need all ten, but just to be safe.

Step 7) At the offset we went to in step 5, place a pointer to the free space in step 6. If the offset you found was AX BY CZ-> the pointer would be CZ BY AX 08.

Ex. Free space is at 12 34 56, pointer will be 56 34 12 08.

Step 8) Go to our free space.

Step 9) Make all ten (dec) bytes of free space 00. (So changing the FFs to 00, up to ten (dec) bytes from our offset of free space.)

Step 10) Here is the step we give our item the ability to make a Pokemon evolve. If the byte at the offset we started counting free space at (the offset FSF gave us) is byte #0, at byte #4 (the FSF offset + 4) we need to change the 00 to 80. This enables the item to be an evolutionary stone.

Step 11) Save everything.

Step 12) Make a Pokemon that evolves by your new item and test it out. Remember to turn off the boundaries in YAPE that prevent you from having evolutions that use other items than those specified as evolution stones. (Options-> Evolution Editor-> uncheck Advanced Item Check)

Thanks to JPAN for his thread on items:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=204861

If there was anyone else who developed or studied items and had a hand in this discovery, please tell me so I can add their names here.

Last edited by karatekid552; 23rd March 2014 at 04:01 PM.
karatekid552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Elsa, DarkPsychic liked this post
Sponsored Links
Old 24th September 2013, 07:58 PM   #2
raltvus
PoCker

raltvus
Default How i make in G/S/C

Hello, i'm new here and i wanna ask u, how i make this in G/S/C? I'm startin' to hack Pokémon Gold!!!
BTW, thnx
Old 24th September 2013, 10:30 PM   #3
droomph
握りモンスター
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

droomph

Quote:
Originally Posted by raltvus View Post
Hello, i'm new here and i wanna ask u, how i make this in G/S/C? I'm startin' to hack Pokémon Gold!!!
BTW, thnx
it's completely different, so you'll have to look into that yourself.

(In the meantime, I'm sure somebody already knows, so just ask them. I would start with the people with bright green usernames.)
Old 24th September 2013, 10:32 PM   #4
raltvus
PoCker

raltvus

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
it's completely different, so you'll have to look into that yourself.

(In the meantime, I'm sure somebody already knows, so just ask them. I would start with the people with bright green usernames.)
THNX 4 the answer!!!
Old 25th September 2013, 07:26 AM   #5
Miksy91
Gotta fill something here.

Miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by raltvus View Post
THNX 4 the answer!!!
I'm pretty certain there is discussion about that somewhere in Skeetendo Inc.
All you have to do is to use Mateo's item editor to change the properties of one of those Teru-Samas, and edit the evolution data of a certain pokemon to evolve by giving it an item (evolution method 02) and set the item number to match up with that Teru-Sama.

And don't just ignore this message like you tend to do. I didn't have to write it, but I did, in hopes of you trying to make something out of it.
Old 25th September 2013, 10:57 AM   #6
karatekid552
What does this button do?.....
Ex-Staff

karatekid552 karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80C View Post
Recently I did a similar thing in my Red hack, I mean, I created new objects without replacing old ones and I made them for evolution (Moss Stone, Razor Fang etc.) but a weird bug happens: if the use of one of those item fails (if you use it on a pokemon that doesn't evolve) and then exit from the menu the game thinks you're still inside the menu and there is a strange glitch that you fix simply by reopening the menu pokemon and then exit again, it's a bit frustrating as glitch and I don't know the motivation... I'll try to fix it when I won't be so busy.
Just to clarify, that bug is on RBY and not RSE, right?
karatekid552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 03:01 PM   #7
raltvus
PoCker

raltvus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miksy91 View Post
I'm pretty certain there is discussion about that somewhere in Skeetendo Inc.
All you have to do is to use Mateo's item editor to change the properties of one of those Teru-Samas, and edit the evolution data of a certain pokemon to evolve by giving it an item (evolution method 02) and set the item number to match up with that Teru-Sama.

And don't just ignore this message like you tend to do. I didn't have to write it, but I did, in hopes of you trying to make something out of it.
THNX Miksy91, and i don't tend to ignore this post bcause i'm new and i have to read the posts of who knows and R helpin' me!!!
Old 25th September 2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

Yeah in Gold all you have to do is give the item the same Use options as the other evolution stones, and all evolution stones call the same ASM script so no need to write any new code at all in GSC. Just open up the item editor and edit a few values like Miksy said.

Which reminds me, at some point I need to just recode that item editor (I lost the source, but it wasn't complicated) and redesign it a bit so that it reads item names from the rom, lets you select the item to edit the same way Pokemon Editor Ultimate let's you select a Pokemon, and make it work with Crystal properly. Obviously you can still use it now and it is fine, but it would look nicer and be more userfriendly if I get around to making a 2.0 release.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 04:01 PM   #9
raltvus
PoCker

raltvus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
Yeah in Gold all you have to do is give the item the same Use options as the other evolution stones, and all evolution stones call the same ASM script so no need to write any new code at all in GSC. Just open up the item editor and edit a few values like Miksy said.

Which reminds me, at some point I need to just recode that item editor (I lost the source, but it wasn't complicated) and redesign it a bit so that it reads item names from the rom, lets you select the item to edit the same way Pokemon Editor Ultimate let's you select a Pokemon, and make it work with Crystal properly. Obviously you can still use it now and it is fine, but it would look nicer and be more userfriendly if I get around to making a 2.0 release.
Thnx Mateo i'll do it!!!
Old 26th September 2013, 01:31 AM   #10
raltvus
PoCker

raltvus

@Mateo
About ur Item Editor, it's very good (i use it 4 change some itens in evolution tools) but i wanna ask u: i don't know if u check the Data Crystal but there have a tool called ItemEd but it need some complement in .DLL i think, u know how to fix it?
BTW THNX!!!

Tags
create, evolution, evolutionary, gba, new stones, step, stones, [Tutorial]