PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Beginners' Lounge > Hack Ideas

Notices

Hack Ideas Have a new idea for a hack and want to share? Feel free to in here!

View Poll Results: What should the cover pokemon for the game?
Mega Evolution Charizard 3 100.00%
Delphox 0 0%
Pyroar 0 0%
Yveltal 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 1st January 2014, 11:51 PM   #1
BlackAnarchy★
Youngest ***** Member

BlackAnarchy★
Talking Pokemon Osela (Recruiting)

Pokemon Osela

Story - You wake up and suddenly you're in a cave, you're character explores through the cave and discovers he has been taken to somewhere he is not familiar with. Inside the cave he comes across a basket filled with a Sylveon. He takes it and heads forwards and meets up with Team Jolt Grunts they force him into battle and you must battle back

Looking for these positions to help

Mapper - Someone who can build beautiful maps creating a fresh new design with or without custom tiles.

(I can do Basic Scripts in PKSvUi) Scripters - Someone who can program actions and cutscenes, must be able to script advanced scripts

Beta Testers - Someone to test for bugs

Use this as a template for joining the team

Name:
Position:
EXP or Experince:
Rating of yourself 1 - 10:
Availability:
E-mail:

Pokemon Hack Name: Pokemon Osela
Pokemon Hack Base: Pokemon FireRed
Language: English
Progress: Recruiting

Features:
  • Kalos Pokemon
  • Harder Trainers
  • New Rivals
  • Some Mega Evolves
  • New Region!

Progress:
  • Added Demo that shows the starter and 2 Battles Just to show I am working on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot#3.jpg (19.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png Flabebe #1.png (1.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: png Pokemon Osela V 0.2.png (16.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: png Pokemon Osela Sylveon.PNG (5.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: png Pokemon Osela Battle.PNG (6.5 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by BlackAnarchy★; 6th January 2014 at 01:57 PM.
BlackAnarchy★ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd January 2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Luna
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Luna Luna Luna Luna Luna

Instead of uploading the full GBA file like you have done, please create an IPS patch of the demo and upload that. Uploading or linking to roms is against the rules unfortunately.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 09:27 PM   #3
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

On top of the above post, please post some kind of screenshot so this isn't just a team recruitment thread, or I will have to lock it.
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 02:13 AM   #4
Luna
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Luna Luna Luna Luna Luna

When I downloaded the demo earlier, I wasn't able to do much for all the bugs I noticed. For example:
- You get your Eevee from a Pokédex instead of a ball, and it doesn't disappear after you "talk to" it. It doesn't say or do anything afterwards either, which looks strange but shows you at least meant for it to stop doing things. Better than having it give infinite free Eevees like I did when I was first learning how to script.
- There were mapping errors on the cave floor. I noticed at least one or two craters that had corner pieces missing, probably some other things too but I didn't get very far before I got stuck.
- After I fainted against a trainer, I ended up stuck in Blaine's gym (which also showed a Pokémon Center healing animation).

At that point, I just stopped playing this and went back to playing Pokémon X.

Likes Pia Carrot liked this post
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:09 AM   #5
BlackAnarchy★
Youngest ***** Member

BlackAnarchy★

Pokemon Osela v0.8

Features:

Finished the First Area and Partly added the Second Area. There is only one trainer in the cave now.

You now get a PokeDex (National Activated) ,Starter, Town Map and Potions.

Kalos Pokemon Added (Chespin, Froakie, Fennekin, Sylveon)
Attached Files
File Type: ips Pokemon Osela V 0.8.ips (8.19 MB, 0 views)

Last edited by BlackAnarchy★; 3rd January 2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 4th January 2014, 02:51 AM   #6
BlackAnarchy★
Youngest ***** Member

BlackAnarchy★

The game is Updated to v1.1 I added Fletching, Bunnelby and Scatterbug + Another trainer. Also I need somebody to help insert tilesets and someone to help script since this is really tiring doing this alone everybody. I hope I can get somebody to help with this project so I can make this the best it can be.
Attached Images
File Type: png Pokemon Osela v1.1.PNG (4.7 KB, 32 views)
Attached Files
File Type: ips Pokemon Osela v1.1.ips (8.20 MB, 1 views)
Old 4th January 2014, 04:10 AM   #7
Pyro
pokamans

Pyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPokeStar View Post
since this is really tiring doing this alone
If it's tiring, are you sure it's something you're really enjoying then?

From the looks of it, this is your first hack and you're new to it. You've set out to do way more than you're capable of at the moment and that's really one of the worst things you can do. If you're learning, you need to start small and work your way up.

Start with whatever is the most interesting to you, replacing sprites, mapping, whatever it is, and when you feel like you're good enough at that, move on the next thing. You can't always rely on other people to do your work (and essentially begging doesn't really help either).

While the ambition is nice to see, you don't really need to replace music or do advanced scripting. Just make a basic hack, with some text changes, sprite changes and map changes based on the original maps until you learn what you need.

People are less inclined to want to use their free time contributing to a first time hack rather than one that's well-planned and has someone experienced on it.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing things like that, but it should be more of a hobby rather than a job, and it also takes time, quite a lot of it depending on what you're doing. There aren't very many completed hacks for a reason.
Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Miksy91, Luna, soulryu liked this post
Old 4th January 2014, 04:44 AM   #8
BlackAnarchy★
Youngest ***** Member

BlackAnarchy★
Post You are completely right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
If it's tiring, are you sure it's something you're really enjoying then?

From the looks of it, this is your first hack and you're new to it. You've set out to do way more than you're capable of at the moment and that's really one of the worst things you can do. If you're learning, you need to start small and work your way up.

Start with whatever is the most interesting to you, replacing sprites, mapping, whatever it is, and when you feel like you're good enough at that, move on the next thing. You can't always rely on other people to do your work (and essentially begging doesn't really help either).

While the ambition is nice to see, you don't really need to replace music or do advanced scripting. Just make a basic hack, with some text changes, sprite changes and map changes based on the original maps until you learn what you need.

People are less inclined to want to use their free time contributing to a first time hack rather than one that's well-planned and has someone experienced on it.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from doing things like that, but it should be more of a hobby rather than a job, and it also takes time, quite a lot of it depending on what you're doing. There aren't very many completed hacks for a reason.
You are right, believe it or not I have been hacking for a 1 year as I used to work on a project which got cancelled. I have too high hopes for my own project so for now I'll update the thread to seem more reasonable. I know things such as talking, battle, giving and starter scripts but not level, earthquake and advance movement scripts. For now I will keep my expectation low so i won't get frustrated on this. Thank you alot for the advice Pyro. I will be sure to keep it in mind.
Likes Pyro liked this post
Old 4th January 2014, 05:28 AM   #9
Pyro
pokamans

Pyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPokeStar View Post
Thank you alot for the advice Pyro. I will be sure to keep it in mind.
No problem, keep at it and good luck to you!

If you ever feel like it's frustrating you or burning you out, take a break from it and come back to it when you're feeling refreshed. Maybe take the time away to come up with some ideas. If you get overwhelmed it might ruin it for you and you'll lose interest. Just always remember that it's a hobby and not a job of any kind, so you aren't required to do a lot or make it perfect, just as long as you're enjoying it. When you feel confident enough, move it to the next level.
Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes BlackAnarchy★, Luna liked this post
Old 4th January 2014, 08:21 AM   #10
Luna
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Luna Luna Luna Luna Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
No problem, keep at it and good luck to you!

If you ever feel like it's frustrating you or burning you out, take a break from it and come back to it when you're feeling refreshed. Maybe take the time away to come up with some ideas. If you get overwhelmed it might ruin it for you and you'll lose interest. Just always remember that it's a hobby and not a job of any kind, so you aren't required to do a lot or make it perfect, just as long as you're enjoying it. When you feel confident enough, move it to the next level.
^ This. Exactly this. Its something I'm bad about forgetting too, so I know its easy to get carried away and burn yourself out on something. But keep at it and you'll get there eventually if you just keep working on it when you want to and not letting yourself get burned out on it.

Likes BlackAnarchy★, Pyro liked this post

Tags
fire, osela, pokemon, recruiting, spirit, [GBA]