PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Central PHO > Site Talk & Suggestions

Notices

Site Talk & Suggestions If you need to talk to us about the site or perhaps get help with a problem or make a suggestion, you can do it here. This section is NOT for Rom Hacking questions or anything related to Rom Hacking!
Important Links:
> Forum Rules, Forum Staff

Old 31st October 2013, 08:41 AM   #1
mewthree9000
Junior Trainer

mewthree9000 mewthree9000
Lightbulb PHO: Pokemon Hacker League

Well here is the idea that I have for the Pokemon Hacker League:

This is a tournament for the wannabe best hackers, it will turn pokemon hacking into a competitive sport, improving the skills of all participants! This will also serve as a increase in traffic and activity, which is highly needed.

This tournament will involve various skills from creating promotional banners, titlescreens, scripts, mapping, plotting, storyboard, and publishing.

The tournament will last 4 days, each day being another set of tasks to complete.

To get in you have to have basic hacking skills which the applicants will have to prove in some way.

8 applicants will be allowed to enter the tournament at a time.

Day ONE: Tasks will be given to complete.

Day TWO: 4 will be chosen out of the 8 based on the response of selected judges.

Day THREE: New tasks. 2 will be chosen out of the 4

Day FOUR: New tasks that lead to the completion of the hacks. The champion will be chosen.

The League Champion will win a free PHO Hacker League t-shirt. The champion will then be added to the PHO Hall OF FAME.
Gotta Hack'em All!!

My current projects:
-Pokemon ChaosBlack[v2]
-!!Elite FireRed ROM Base!!
mewthree9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 31st October 2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Linkandzelda
RHO つぃちょう
Webmaster

Linkandzelda Linkandzelda Linkandzelda

I like this idea a lot, seems like a good way to get people actively hacking on things other than their own projects.

However, I feel that 4 days is not very long, and would require people to have that kind of free time back to back in order to participate. It also means it would be over in a flash. Perhaps make each task last a week to give more time? The more people get to work the better the outcome would be too

Linkandzelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes AdaptiveEevee liked this post
Old 31st October 2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Elsa
Let it go!
PHO VIP

Elsa

How about 4 weeks?
This idea sounds wonderful and something I'll definitely be anticipating (It even has a catchy name)!

- - - - - - - Elsa - - - - - - -
Twitter | YouTube | Steam | Twitch
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Elsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Aljam, AdaptiveEevee liked this post
Old 31st October 2013, 02:27 PM   #4
soulryu
Pirate Trainer

soulryu

This sounds like a good idea but four days is too little for people to start a hack because of work or school or in my case both and getting far as to release the first beta takes time. Also if wannabe hackers want to participate it'll be hard as they gotta look up tutorials for hard stuff like creating promotional banners, titlescreens, scripts, tile inserting, and spriting. It would take up to much time to learn this or find people to help them.

I say we make a sub forum that where people put threads that post their participation, ideas and what they need help with all in one thread and we reset by deleting them each month. the next sub forum is where we put all the winners for each time we do this. The time limit should be a month. there should one winner and also awards for best spriter, best mapper, scripter, etc. and make things more interesting each month should have a theme.

sorry if everything i say is unorganized
soulryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Aljam, AdaptiveEevee liked this post
Old 1st November 2013, 01:21 PM   #5
daniilS
VIP
PHO VIP

daniilS
Thumbs up

We could try to make small challenges, and give 1-2 days for each. They have to cover the weekend, because then most oeople have free time. And/or do one bigger around christmas/new year, then most people have days off from school and some from work.

Anyways, great idea!
daniilS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 01:12 AM   #6
Tcoppy
Crazy Diamond

Tcoppy

I really like the idea, I really do, but I also agree that the tournament should at least be a month long. Like soulryu said, we should make a sub-forum for the tournament and other hackers should be awarded for best spriter and such, but with those people winning custom signatures saying they were the best at *insert hacking part here* at the PHO Tournament.
This should also be yearly so people can be more prepared for the Tournaments and people who come here can look forward to the tournament every year.
Old 12th November 2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Legendary Charizard

Legendary Charizard

4 weeks would be good. 1 task 1 week and we woudl have more time.
Legendary Charizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 03:35 PM   #8
daniilS
VIP
PHO VIP

daniilS

I still think a short period of time is good, something like a hackathon. We could create different sections, and give really small challenges that can be completed in 1-2 days. Some possible examples:
  • Creative
    You have to make a support banner (max. size 500x200) for a fictional hack. F.E. "All pokemon are replaced by cats, and you only have the daycare & RSE-contests. You may choose a name yourself"
  • General hacking
    (Example only fully possibe on rse) Create a map with random weather and a script to battle an eevelution based on the current weather. Normal=eevee, Rain=vaporeon, Thunderstorm=Jolteon, Sun=Flareon, Fog=Espeon, Cloudy=Umbreon.
  • Asm
    Create a simple map, where an infection has just broken out. As you walk around, your Pokémon may get poisoned, get infected with pokérus, or faint.
Old 25th November 2013, 04:51 PM   #9
mewthree9000
Junior Trainer

mewthree9000 mewthree9000

I love these ideas, especially the hackathon idea. I think we could really put all of these into action at some point. I'm willing to help sponsor anything we need.
Gotta Hack'em All!!

My current projects:
-Pokemon ChaosBlack[v2]
-!!Elite FireRed ROM Base!!
mewthree9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 08:55 PM   #10
daniilS
VIP
PHO VIP

daniilS

Well, are we doing this or what?